Following Govt guidelines Issued in respect of corona outbreak .As per direction of the Chairman collection of property tax will be started on & from 1st April with statutory rebate through municipal counter, online & from the individual holding. Please avail the rebate facility.
ABOUT NORTH DUM DUM MUNICIPALITY
With the clearance of nominated mayor and nine older men at the regim of East India Company in the 1726 the Municipal Administration started its journey. Though Calcutta now Kolkata witness the pattern of development in 1794 with the decision of definite boundaries of Municipal and Judicise purpose. Upto 1864 the British has concentrated all development whatsoever within the visionary of Kolkata.
In the historical background the political scenario the British Empire has to take decision to extend the local autonomy all over the Bengal especially the big and growing business center and enacted the District Municipal Improvement Act, 1864 and the District Town Act, 1868 to take up the development and conservancy work by the help of the police.
North Dum Dum Municipality is a sparkling speck in the vast expense of North 24 Parganas. North Dum Dum Municipality happens to be one of the oldest municipalities not only in the district but throughout West Bengal. It was established on the 10th September 1870, having an area of 7.5 square miles (19.42 sq. km) comprised of villages known as Birati, Nimta, Kadihati, Jangalpur Patna, Gouripur with large area of Kolkata Airport now known as the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. The North Dum Dum Municipality observed its centenary celebration, in the year 1970, during the regime of Chitta Ranjan Bose, the then Chairman of this Municipality. In 1998, the entire Bisharpara Gram Panchayet and half of the Sultanpur Gram Panchayet were merged with the North Dum Dum Municipality, which caused addition of five more wards to previous original 25 wards increasing the total area to 26.49 sq.m. km from 1942 to 2006.
Initially English people were nominated as the Chairman and the practice continued upto 1885. The last English Chairman was Mr. Warren Hastings. Rai Ram Das Roy Chowdhury Bahadur was the first elected Indian Chairman in 1901. The Municipal Office was located in his house. Prior to 1901 the Municipality had no building of its own. Rai Ram Das Roy Chowdhury Bahadur the first elected Chairman donated a plot of land for the construction of the Municipal building in 1902. A small one storied building was erected in 1962, another store was added, and subsequently necessary addition and alteration was effected from time to time matching needs. An old record reveals that in 1880 AD under the Chairmanship of Major Hopkins the Board of commissioners of North Dum Dum Municipality presented a budget amounting to Rs. 1725.00.